Search This Blog

Monday, March 10, 2014

Getting Through: March Madness Check-In, Day 10 #WIPmadness


Good morning, Mad Marchers! How are your goals coming along? I hope the time change didn't drain you too badly. Personally, I'm taking preventative measures and writing this on Sunday night, just in case I find myself draining multiple pots of coffee this morning.

Speaking of that. I like to take extra steps to mitigate disaster. It's part of who I am. I like to be prepared; it makes me feel better. Yes, that extra ten bucks a month for earthquake insurance seems reasonable to me, because I am quite aware of the area's geologic history. So does the Otter Box protecting my cell phone, because I know I'm clumsy. And I *definitely* know that as I actively send out queries, reading rejections hurts. So I check the query e-mail account on my phone first.

I just realized this the other day. Something Professor Faber says to Montag in Fahrenheit 451 about having just a small screen, one small enough to be able to cover up with your palm, really rings true here: because that way, rejection e-mails have less power to hurt. Yes, that may sound silly. And yes, for the most part, my skin has grown thicker. But this still helps, not having the big screen with the big scary e-mail dominating my view. 

So what's my point here? That I am trying my best to pay attention to what helps me get through the day. Especially at crazy times like this, but also in general, knowing this stuff is useful.

Speaking as a NaNoWriMo and March Madness veteran, this is the time of the month when for some folks, goals seem like distant dreams. Maybe Real Life (TM) has reared its ugly head and cramped your personal time. Perhaps you've fallen behind and see no way of catching up.

I just wanted to let you know that wherever you are at is where you need to be, and it is *not* too late to catch up. And if it helps you, it won't hurt to ask yourself, "What can I do that will help me get through?" Regardless of where you're at, think of how much farther you've come!

And that's one of the awesome things about March Madness: this community. We are all in this together. I *know* you can do this.

My weekend was once again over-committed (sigh, it feels like an unexpected running theme), so I didn't get half as much done as I wanted. The word count is coming along. I received two more rejections. And I have done more work on my querying spreadsheet and plan to send out more queries this week.

(On that note: optimism. Focusing on the positive *really* helps me get through.)

So, how's it going for you, Marchers? Do you employ any survival techniques like I do? I'd love to hear them.

Newcomers: haven't signed up for March Madness? It's still not too late to do so! Just check in here. Did we mention there are prizes?

And don't forget to check out Shari's blog tomorrow!

25 comments:

  1. Ah, thanks, Laura.

    This is just what I needed to read (after I admittedly checked in late to Angelina's blog a few minutes ago).

    I planned and planned for a structured and productive weekend then that disruptive lil' thing called Life got in the way.

    Upside, I got to spend time with my not so Keysmashing Tots. I've missed them dearly since we started the move. We still live relatively close, but the process of moving has eaten up our free time. --> (Also why I haven't been able to attend any write-ins lately. Another mea culpa.)

    I'd like to NOT have to keep catching up, but in the end, I'd rather fall behind than drop out of the race.

    Yes, the Mad Marchers--love that--keep my spirits high. I'm always gushing about the #wipmadness family's huge impact on my renewed passion for writing. It never went away, but I'm slightly appalled that I put down the proverbial pen for awhile to slog through the monotony of a thankless work life.

    I've learned to take everything in stride, to make the necessary adjustments without freaking out because things aren't going my way.

    To borrow--with love--from the Stones:

    "... you can't always get what you want...
    But if you try sometime, you just might find
    You get what you need."

    Have a great day and see you all tomorrow!


    Cheers,

    Tonette

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad this helped, Tonette! I hope the rest of your move goes smoothly and you still have time to reach your goals. Best of luck!

      Delete
  2. I hear you on the small screen mojo. And now that I have finally finished my latest freelance work, I am turning not to my WIP, but to an old manuscript that I simply need to get back out there. I'm giving it one last dust off and then I'm sending it. After that, it is back to my sweet little WIP and with any luck, preparing my house for possible sale. Fingers crossed for the job offer and the sanity I will need to get through all of this again. It will be worth it, though.

    Rock on, Wipsters!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And I hear you on the old stories! There's something about them that speaks to me. Old heartsongs, but first heartsongs, stories that mean so much to me but that I wasn't yet ready to tell. Go for it, Mary Ann!

      Delete
  3. I fell behind over the weekend, too. It was just too beautiful to sit at my computer. Luckily (and here's my optimism at work), I started strong and got ahead, plus it's overcast and dreary outside so I'm all right with sitting at my computer today. :)
    How do I get through my day? Honestly, sometimes I just go into zombie mode (maybe it's more ostrich mode). Especially if I've fallen off track. I just put my head down and plug along. Most of the time, when I come back up for air, I'm back on track.
    So to start this daylight-savings week...ger arg. See you on the other side.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hah, take care, Stacy. I sometimes go into that mode myself, so I completely understand the not wanting to engage with things as I focus on my own stuff. I hope it goes well for you!

      Delete
  4. I'm so anal with scheduling that believe it or not, checking off what I've accomplished feels good to me. I give myself permission to have the weekends for reading, family, and church activities.

    I also try not to focus on what I haven't achieved yet. This has been really hard for me. It helps to cheer for author friend's successes and not get too down on myself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds awesome, Kim! And isn't checking off to-do list items satisfying? Excellent focus ideas. Rock on!

      Delete
  5. My weekend went surprisingly well for getting some writing done. I actually finished my revision ahead of schedule. Today is a little tougher so far. The time change has definitely thrown a wrench into my getting-some-alone-peaceful-early-morning-writing-time. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, that time change hit my DH and I badly this time around. Can't wait to go home and nap. Hope you can get back on track quickly!

      Delete
  6. I was at the Wordcrafters conference in Eugene and spent most of yesterday driving home! It's good thinking and plotting time.

    Katherine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooh, sounds like fun, KT. I hope you had a lovely weekend, and that the drive produced some great ideas!

      Delete
  7. Well, since I didn't remember about March Madness until yesterday, I know about catching up. My survival technique is caffeine, unfortunately. I'd love to give it up. Anyway, after ingesting a bunch today, I've made great progress on my first goal (polishing a proposal) and am on track to send it out in a day or two.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's okay, Jeanne. As a fellow caffeine fan, I understand. Good luck with your proposal, and welcome to the Madness! :D

      Delete
  8. I don't think I have a survival technique. I just wallow until I can't anymore, then do my best to move on.
    I'm tackling another chapter this week. Yay!

    Akoss

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Whatever works, Akoss! Moving on and getting to work is what matters. :)

      Delete
  9. Fingers crossed for the next batch of queries you send out :)

    I check potentially disappointing emails with one eye closed or both mostly closed. It's like I think the yuck factor will be lessened if I don't see it all at once.

    My revision is still going fairly well and I'm about to tackle another chapter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jennifer! Happy revising. I recognize those mostly-closed eyes. My cats look at me like that all the time ... probably because they fear I'm going to disturb them. ;)

      Delete
  10. I seem to have been behind all day... but I still love Mondays, and I'm finally here to check in.

    Since I didn't include specific numbers in my March goal setting, I don't feel too apologetic about reporting very small word gains. I didn't do much writing yesterday until last night when I joined my Seekerville FB group in a bit of #1K1HR writing before bedtime. I think fellow writers are my best defense against disappointment and discouragement. No matter what happens, someone is always there to sympathize and give me a boost. On the whole, however, I'm a glass-half-full kind of person so can usually be philosophical about disappointments.

    We're already one-third of the way through MM. I wonder how many of us are one-third of the way to our March goals. Ha! I'm not. Dive back in and write like the wind, Wipsters!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Say it, sister! I love your enthusiasm, and I totally agree! Happy writing!

      Delete
  11. Alas my preparedness kit is comprised of whiskey, chocolate and a laptop battery. Probably NOT the most responsible of emergency strategies, but you gotta go with what works.

    My new draft isn't moving forward, but I am making some progress with getting my queries out - so I'm taking that as my victory for the day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Save me some of that whiskey and chocolate. Whatever works, right?

      Happy querying! I'm sure your story will pour out in good time. :)

      Delete
  12. Super-late checking in today! Sadly, the only writing I got done was tomorrow's check-in post. I don't think those words count toward my goal, lol, so I'd better get cracking tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Good early morning. If Shari thought she was late checking in, then I don't know what she'll think about me. It is 1:30 am on March 11th now on the west coast. I was just so tired I went to bed early and now I've finally got up to write.

    ReplyDelete